I’m so fond of my cute and tiny mini loaf tins – what comes out is a perfectly sized cake for a Swedish afternoon “fika” (or coffeebreak as the rest of the world calls it!)! If you don’t have any mini loaf tins you can use a regular 1.5 liter cake tin – just increase the baking time according to the recipe! Anyway. This lemon sponge is so soft, sweet and has a mild lemony flavor to it – simply a wonderfully tasty and simple cake to bake and enjoy!
2 mini loafs or 1 large
212 g of wheat flour (3.5 dl)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
225 g of powdered sugar (about 2.5 dl)
30 g of butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
75 g of freshly squeezed lemon juice (0.75 dl, about 1 and a half lemon)
100 g of rapeseed oil, or any neutral tasting oil you have (1 dl)
150 g of icing sugar (about 2.5 dl)
30 g milk (2 tbsp)
15 g freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 tbsp)
1. Set the oven to 175 degrees C. Grease 2 mini loaf pans, about 8 × 14 cm, and dust with wheat flour.
2. Mix wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice into a bowl.
4. Pour the egg mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until lump-free. Stir in the oil.
5. Pour the batter into the two pans and bake in the lower half of the oven for 30 minutes (45-50 if you use a large pan) or until a stick comes out dry.
6. Mix all the ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the completely cooled cakes.